What can I do to avoid costly Family Court proceedings?

Most family law matters are resolved by negotiation and agreement. You should obtain advice from a Family Law Solicitor at an early stage to assist you in your negotiations with your former partner. If you are able to reach an agreement with your former partner, either directly or via your Solicitor, the agreement should be recorded in a Binding Financial Agreement or made the subject of a Consent Order by the Court (no hearing is required for Consent Orders).

If an agreement cannot be reached the parties can agree to attend mediation with their respective Solicitors and a private mediator. The parties can also contact Relationships Australia and request to attend mediation with them; however, any agreement reached is not legally binding until such time as it is documented in Consent Orders or a Binding Financial Agreement.

By Anna Roberts

Director, Solicitor & Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner

Anna Roberts