What should I do if I am thinking of separating?

Make a note of the date of separation even if you and your partner remained living under the same roof following separation.

Both you and your partner will be required to make full and frank financial disclosure as part of any property settlement proceedings. Start a folder and collect you and your former partner’s recent Superannuation statements, bank account statements, tax returns, share certificates and other documents you think are relevant.

Make an appointment to see one of our Family Law Lawyers.

You may wish to contact Government Services such as the Family Relationship Advice Line.

By Anna Roberts

Director, Solicitor & Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner

Anna Roberts